Good News – The State of New Jersey has announced a “Back-to-School Sales Tax Holiday”!
From August 27 until September 5, 2022, certain back-to-school supplies and equipment will be exempt from the 6.625% New Jersey sales tax.
Back-to-school time can be very stressful for some families – physically, mentally, and financially. However, to help alleviate some of the financial burden, and for a limited time, school supplies (including but not limited to the following items) will be tax exempt:
- Computers less than $3,000
- Computer supplies (cloud storage, software, hardware, etc.)
- Art supplies (paints, clays, paintbrushes, drawing pads, etc.)
- Instructional materials (reference books, workbooks, reference maps/globes, textbooks)
- Standard school supplies such as binders, folders, notebooks, pens, book bags, crayons, calculators, writing tablets, and more.
- Sport or recreational equipment (certain shoes/boots, mouth guards, skates, shin guards, shoulder pads, life vests, waders, gloves, bike helmets, etc.)
- Click here to view the detailed list provided by the New Jersey Division of Taxation.
This temporary limitation on sales tax will apply to both in-store and online purchases.
This Tax Holiday is part of a $2 billion tax relief plan included in the state’s fiscal budget. As prices of everyday items continue to rise due to climbing inflation, government officials have proposed the Tax Holiday to provide some assistance to New Jersey families during economically difficult times.
In addition, the Tax Holiday is not just for families and students, or even New Jersey residents. Anyone who purchases eligible supplies and equipment in New Jersey during the 10-day period will not incur sales tax.